What’s Showing Today? Tuesday, March 13
[Jump to screenings]
Click venue names for ticket info & directions
Featured Screening: Altered Ambiences: A Kucharian Cavalcade with Marie Losier at Spectacle Theater
Tonight Marie Losier visits Spectacle Theater with a pair of short films made in collaboration with her late personal friend and fellow filmmaker George Kuchar. She’ll be in attendance for a Q&A and a presentation of additional recent work by the artist.
Kuchar, who passed away September of last year, is best known as a master of no-budget camp melodrama and a lightning rod of creativity among the independent film scene. He’s a prolific artist—his IMDb page, from which I immediately noticed several omissions, lists 217 directorial credits. Both short films today, which were originally shot on 16mm, play off this persona. Electrocute Your Stars is a “dream-portrait” of Kuchar referencing Psycho‘s shower scene and Kuchar’s own seminal 1966 Hold Me While I’m Naked. Eat My Makeup! portrays a warehouse rooftop pie fight. While Kuchar’s early work contains autobiographical details entrenched within the modes of melodrama, in his later videos the former becomes much more predominant while the later recedes though by no means disappears entirely—it’s fantastic stuff, and typically underrepresented.
Tonight’s screening begins at 8:00 pm with a $5 admission tag.
- Dissolution. Details. Video. 2010. 88 min. 7:00 pm.
- Queen of Diamonds. Details. 35mm. 1991. 77 min. 9:00 pm.
- La femme publique. Details. 35mm. 1984. 113 min. 7:00 pm.
- Moonlighting (Jerzy Skolimowski). Details. 35mm. 1982. 97 min. 6:00 pm.
- Nostalghia (Andrei Tarkovsky). Details. 35mm. 1983. 125 min. 8:15 pm.
- Program 1: Youth Culture and the Arts. Details. 1993-2004. 76 min. 6:15 pm.
Newfilmmakers at Anthology Film Archives. Details. 6:00 pm.
Spark of Being (Bill Morrison) and 657 Second (Hana Zelezna) at Bohemian National Hall. Details. 2010/2008. 80 min. 7:00 pm. FREE.
Animal Heart (Séverine Cornamusaz) with Play (Georges Schwizgebel) at French Institute Alliance Française. Details. 2009/2006. 94 min. 12:30, 4:00 and 7:30 pm.
The Man Nobody Knew: In Search of My Father, CIA Spymaster William Colby (Carol Colby) at IFC Center. Details. Q&A. 104 min. 8:00 pm.
Lightning Over Braddock (Tony Buba) at Light Industry. Details. Introduced by LaToya Ruby Frazier. 16mm. 1988. 80 min. 7:30 pm.
In Good Time, The Piano Jazz of Marian McPartland (Huey) at Maysles Cinema. Details. 2011. 87 min. 7:00 pm.
Altered Ambiences: A Kucharian Cavalcade (Marie Losier) at Spectacle Theater. Details. Losier in attendance for Q&A plus a secret surprise screening. 2004-2005. 74 min. 8:00 pm.
Children of Paradise (Kimi Takesue) at Film Forum. Details. DCP. 1945. 190 min. 1:00, 4:30 and 8:00 pm.
This is Not a Film (Jafar Panahi & Mojtaba Mirtahmasb) at Film Forum. Details. 2011. 74 min. 1:00, 2:50, 4:40, 6:30, 8:20 and 10:10 pm.
A Separation (Asghar Farhadi) at Film Forum. Details. 2011. 123 min. 1:15, 4:00, 6:45 and 9:10 pm.
- Shumona Goel & Shai heredia “I am micro” at The Guggenheim Museum, Upper East Side. Closed Thursdays. $18 general/$15 students and seniors/Children free. Free Saturdays 5:45 to 7:45 pm. Ends June 6.
- Jem Cohen “NYC Weights and Measures” at The Jewish Museum New York, Upper East Side. $12 general/$10 seniors/$7.50 students/Free Saturdays. Through March 25.
- Sanja Iveković “Sweet Violence” at MoMA, Midtown. $20 general/$12 students/$16 seniors. Closed Tuesday/Wednesday. Through March 26.
- Frances Stark “My Best Thing” at MoMA P.S.1, Queens. $10 general/$5 students/$5 seniors. Closed Tuesday/Wednesday. Through March.
- Rania Stephan at MoMA P.S.1, Queens. $10 general/$5 students/$5 seniors. Closed Tuesday/Wednesday. Through March.
- Chim↑Pom at MoMA P.S.1, Queens. $10 general/$5 students/$5 seniors. Closed Tuesday/Wednesday. Through March 12.
- Clifford Owens “Anthology” at MoMA P.S.1, Queens. $10 general/$5 students/$5 seniors. Closed Tuesday/Wednesday. Through March 12.
- The User: The New Auteur at The Museum of Arts and Design, Columbus Circle. $15 general/$12 students and seniors. Open 7 days a week. Through March 4.
- Neil Goldberg “Stories the City Tells Itself” at Museum of the City of New York, Upper West Side. $10 general/$6 students and seniors. Open 7 days a week. Ends May 28.
- View all exhibitions at Museum of the Moving Image, Astoria, Queens. $12 general/$9 students and seniors/$6 ages 3 to 18. Free admission Friday 4-8 pm. Closed Monday.
- Whitney Biennial 2012 at The Whitney Museum. See screening schedule above. Ends May 27.
Below listed North-South
- David Lynch at Tilton Gallery, 8 East 76 Street. Open Tues-Sat 10:00 am to 6:00 pm. Ends April 14.
- Notations: The Cage Effect Today at Hunter College Times Square Gallery, 450 West 41 Street. Open Tues-Sat 1:00 pm to 6:00 pm. Ends April 21.
- Catherine Yass “Lighthouse” at Galerie Lelong, 528 West 26 Street. Closed Sunday/Monday. Ends March 17.
- Yinka Shonibare MBE “Addio del Passato” at James Cohan, 533 West 26 Street. Tues-Sat 10:00 am to 6:00 pm. Ends March 24.
- “Happenings: New York, 1958-1963″ at The Pace Gallery, 534 West 25 Street. Open Tuesday-Saturday 10:00 am to 6:00 pm. Ends March 17.
- Mia Berg “Woman: Camera” at Gallery 151, 132 West 18 Street. Open Tues to Sun. Ends March 30.
- Jeffrey Gibson “one becomes the other” at Participant Inc.. Open Wed-Sun Noon – 7:00 pm. Ends March 25.
- Oded Hirsch “Nothing New” at Thierry Goldberg, 103 Norfolk Street. Open Wed-Sun, 11:00 am to 6:00 pm. Ends April 15.
- Jenny Perlin “Funes” at Simon Preston Gallery, 301 Broome Street. Open Wed-Sun, 11:00 am to 6:00 pm. Ends April 15.
- FG.Ft at Envoy Enterprises, 131 Chrystie Street. Open Wednesday-Sunday Noon to 6:00 pm. Ends April 8.
- PS3* Pedro Sanchez3 “On the Outer Edge” at Abrons Arts Center, 466 Grand Street. Closed Mondays. Ends March 17.
- “one and the other are another” at Ludlow 38. Work by Pierre Bismuth, Antonia Hirsch, Jonathan Monk, Hank Schmidt in der Beek and Ignacio Uriarte. Curated by Clara Meister. Open Thurs-Sun 1:00 to 6:00 pm. Ends March 18.
- Breyer P-Orridge “I’m Mortality” at Invisible-Exports, 14A Orchard Street. Open Wed-Sun 11:00 am to 6:00 pm. Ends March 25.
- Adam Curits “The Desperate Edge of Now” at e-flux, 311 East Broadway 10002. Open Tue-Fri 1:00 to 6:00 pm. Ends April 14.
- Mounira Al Solh “Dinosaurs” at Art in General. Closed Sunday/Monday. Ends March 17.
- Charles Atlas “The Illusion of Democracy” at Luhring Augustine, Bushwick, 25 Knickerbocker Avenue. Open Tues-Sat 10:00 am to 6:00 pm. Ends May 20.